[lbo-talk] Abortion Side Thread [Was Re: Catholicism, . . . ]

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 12 20:08:47 PST 2008

Yes, there are ways to defend the legality of abortion if fetuses are regarded as people or the moral equivalent of persons, but it's hard. Jim has to go out to analogize a fetus to a mad attacker, and that is only in the limited case of abortion that would endanger the life of a woman. (A lot of right wingers would make that exception even now.) A general defense, by which I mean the sort of right to an abortion the left should defend, absolute and unqualified, is a lot more difficult.

Abortion is a really interesting philosophical question. It's very difficult. There is no clear argument that anyone on any side who is intellectually honest can be satisfied with. It drags in about half the issues in metaphysics, ethics, political philosophy, philosophy of mind, philosophy of law, substantive law, and a good deal of empirical biology and psychology.

But I really do think all of that is profoundly irrelevant to the political debate. These disagreements are ways of expressing in an ideological form whatever is really at stake. People are just not as motivated as the actors in this matter are by metaphysics or even by ethical theory.

Another way to put this is that the abortion debate is what the Old Man would call a Robinsinade, it abstracts from the social context. You have a little world inhabited by an abortion provider, a woman and a fetus, possibly a rapist or incestuous family member. There has to have been a man somewhere in the story, since women do not produce sperm, but he can be gone except that capacity. That's it. Oh, I forgot, you may also have God. Some people would add the father or, way off on the side, a straight Christian married set of adoptive parents. And advocates of criminalization would add in a cop, a court, a prison guard or an executioner. Anyway, it's pretty spare no matter how you slice it.

Now I am the last person to decry the value of abstract models. They can reveal and explain important things. This one has its uses. (Intellectual amusement is one of them.) But they can also conceal and obfuscate if you don't remember they are only abstract models. This one does if we try to understand the issue politically and arrive at an acceptable political understanding and position. For that, we need to think about a lot more of society and the forces in it.