[lbo-talk] Catholicism, was Re: blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 11:15:30 PST 2008

Well, then you think there is another level at which the argument does not work. It doesn't even get off the ground for you because you don't have what philosophers call the "intuition" that she thinks you would. (I do, actually, although I would not explain it in terms of negative rights.)

That is a risk of any starting point you pick. I say, utilitarianism is wrong because it could justify slavery if that maximized social welfare. The hard-boiled utilitarian says, Yes, and your point is? The HBU does not share my intuition that chattel slavery is morally wicked, period. Nothing I can do can make her do that, although I can try to get her to understand why I feel that way, and hope that maybe if she sees my point of view she may come to share it. It happens, sometimes. Likewise with JJT's intuition that you do not owe that sort of life support to a grown person even if he will die without it.

I was just trying explain what JJT was _trying_ to do. I most emphatically did not endorse her argument. I also said I thought we should not use this argument except as a rhetorical move, turned around, to make right wingers who oopose both abortion and welfare rights uncomfortable.