[lbo-talk] Catholicism, was Re: blacks about as morally conservative as Republicans

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Sat Dec 13 11:39:38 PST 2008

On Dec 13, 2008, at 2:15 PM, andie nachgeborenen wrote:
> ...I say, utilitarianism is wrong because it could justify slavery
> if that maximized social welfare. The hard-boiled utilitarian says,
> Yes, and your point is? The HBU does not share my intuition that
> chattel slavery is morally wicked, period...

Your "intuition" is purely a social product, reflecting the dominant ideology (prejudice if expressed as "intuition") of a society that has outgrown slavery. It claims the entitlement to pass moral judgment upon a whole epoch ("mode of production") of human history on the basis of contemporary moral ideology (prejudice).

By the way, what basis does a "pragmatist" have to prefer or condemn *anything* except for its effects on human well-being ("social welfare")?

Shane Mage