[lbo-talk] Towards a New WPA, was Re: Roubini/labor market stats

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Dec 15 14:45:43 PST 2008

> Chuck Grimes wrote:
If the music is really bad, nobody
> ever attends, and the concerts annoy other park-goers, then hiring the
> violinist was a bad idea.
>
> SA

I'm sorry. All i can do is laugh and think of bloggers. just consider this totally an aside and not much having to do with where you're at with this.

a question: who cares if it was a bad idea. i am taking art class in january. i have been wanting to take classes for years since my artistic capacities were foiled by mom who said, "not practical!" all my life. if someone wanted to pay me to practice painting and pottery making all day, or bone up on my rusty piano, flute, sax playing skills, i'd be perfectly happy to do that, and maybe jam with other mediocre players on a regular basis. i wouldn't really care too much about an audience, I don't think. I might want to annoy my family. (also, aren't you takng medicre a bit far? I mean, how snobby are these people in the park that they are wrinkling their noses at a free concernt? hmmm?)

I mean, come on, it sustains garage bands across the world for years until they figure out they're never going to hit the big time.

IOW, i don't think anyone necessarily needs an audience.

In fact, just as an aside, I remember one of my favorite comments made offhandedly by a prof I once knew was that most artists hated their audience anyway -- thought they were stupid, held them in contempt, etc.
:)

btw, i agree with carrol: y'all are harsh!