[lbo-talk] Homeownership Makes You Fat and Unhappy

123hop at comcast.net 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Dec 15 15:29:46 PST 2008

Woj wrote:

"If memory serves, some Eastern European Marxist economists (A.V. Chayanov?) arued about super-self-exploitation entailed by small time proprietors (mostly small time farmers) under capitalism. I think this argument can be extended to most forms of personal property in modern capitalism - consumerism is the form of super-exploitation of labor just as effective as private ownership of the means of production."

Wonderful post Woj. Much food for thought. The first that popped into my head was that if they called it the "slave society," it wouldn't go over half as well as the "ownership society."

Joanna