[lbo-talk] Progress and Cariucature (Was Re: Catholicism. . . )

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 12:44:18 PST 2008

Ted Winslow wrote:

> This may be so on your understanding of
> "history". I don't think it's so on Marx's.
>
> His understanding sublates a tradition
> running from the Greeks through to Hegel
> that treats values, including ethical values,
> as objective and knowable.

I'm just catching up with the thread, but I'm with Ted on this.

This notion of Marxism as a cold critique of the status quo at the exclusion of the righteous moral condemnation of precisely all those social conditions that fragment, debase, humiliate, demoralize, and prostitute humans (those are all terms that Marx used) reminds me of the epistemological schools that view cognition as a cool, detached, dispassionate, unemotional exercise. In fact, no engagement, no passion, no emotions, no knowledge. Or more simply said: No passion, no action.