[lbo-talk] Progress and Cariucature (Was Re: Catholicism. . . )

Eubulides prince.plumples at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 17:17:26 PST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Julio Huato <juliohuato at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ted Winslow wrote:
>
>> This may be so on your understanding of
>> "history". I don't think it's so on Marx's.
>>
>> His understanding sublates a tradition
>> running from the Greeks through to Hegel
>> that treats values, including ethical values,
>> as objective and knowable.
>
> I'm just catching up with the thread, but I'm with Ted on this.
>
> This notion of Marxism as a cold critique of the status quo at the
> exclusion of the righteous moral condemnation of precisely all those
> social conditions that fragment, debase, humiliate, demoralize, and
> prostitute humans (those are all terms that Marx used) reminds me of
> the epistemological schools that view cognition as a cool, detached,
> dispassionate, unemotional exercise. In fact, no engagement, no
> passion, no emotions, no knowledge. Or more simply said: No passion,
> no action.

Might I interest you in the works of metaethical error theorists J.L. Mackie, Richard Joyce or Walter Sinnott-Armstrong, perhaps? :->

One need not appeal to moralese to substantiate withering critiques of contemporary capitalism....Indeed one could argue that appealing to moralese would exacerbate the problems of persuasion as much as appealing to economese.

Moral Fictionalism, Preference Moralization and Anti-Conservatism: Why Metaethical Error Theory Doesn't Imply Policy Quietism

Don Ross University of Cape Town - School of Economics; University of Cape Town; University of Alabama at Birmingham

January 2007

Abstract: The evolutionary explanation of human dispositions to prosocial behaviour and to moralization of such behaviour undermines the moral realist's belief in objective moral facts that hold independently of people's contingent desires. At the same time, advocacy of preferences for radical large-scale policy change is generally sure to be ineffective unless it is moralized. It may seem that this requires the economist who would advocate loud policies, but is also committed to a naturalistic account of human social and cognitive behaviour, to engage in wilful manipulation, morally hectoring people even when she knows that her doing so ought rationally to carry no persuasive force. Understanding the role of moralized preferences in the maintenance of the self, and in turn understanding the economic rationale of such self-maintenance, shows how and why preferences can be moralized by a believer in error theory without this implying hypocrisy or manipulation.

JEL Classifications: A11, B25, D63, D64 Working Paper Series