[lbo-talk] New party launched in South Africa

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Wed Dec 17 06:46:20 PST 2008

> Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>> Any comments from those familiar with the SA scene?

Most independent lefties consider it a centre-right opposition party to a centre-right ruling party. The trade union federation Cosatu feels differently, and put a long pamphlet together against COPE (I can send if anyone wants). Tomorrow we'll have the leader (Terror Lekota) debate our strongest radical civ.soc. ideologue, Ashwin Desai: http://www.ukzn.ac.za/ccs

Topic for debate: Who can best represent SA's dispossessed? Electoral opposition, or (un)civil society? (Both? Neither?) Speakers: Mosiuoa Lekota, Ashwin Desai and Dennis Brutus (chair) Date: Thursday, 18 December 2008 Time: 5:30-8pm Venue: Howard College Theatre, UKZN Howard College Campus

The South African political situation is in flux thanks in part to the rejection of new African National Congress leadership by the Congress of the People, co-founded last month by Mosiuoa Lekota. Moreover, long-standing grievances expressed in a world-leading protest rate - by social movements and others in civil society - reflect a sometimes unaccountable ruling party. Will a new electoral opposition to the ANC be more effective than extra-parliamentary opposition? Is this a false dichotomy? What is at stake in terms of political ideology? In answering these and other questions, no chairs will be thrown, but Dennis Brutus will ensure that ideas will be.

Mosiuoa Gerard Patrick "Terror" Lekota is chairperson of the Congress of the People. He studied at St Francis College in Marianhill, KwaZulu-Natal, soon gaining his nickname on the soccer pitch. After expulsion from the University of the North and leadership of the South African Students Organisation, he served eight years in the struggle university at Robben Island, 1974-82, and in 1985 was sentenced in the Delmas Treason Trial, gaining release in 1989 in an Appeal Court victory. He was United Democratic Front publicity secretary and ANC convenor in Southern Natal, and organiser in the Free State during the early 1990s. He served as secretary of the ANC election commission and chief of intelligence during the early 1990s, and was later the ANC's chairperson until 2007. He was Premier of the Free State after liberation in 1994, and then chaired the National Council of Provinces before serving as SA defense minister from 1999-2008.

Ashwin Desai is a senior reseacher at the University of Johannesburg's Centre for Sociological Research, and was educated at Rhodes and Michigan State Universities. He was formerly a University of Durban-Westville academic and a CCS honorary (voluntary) researcher prior to a 2005 order preventing CCS from employing Desai in any capacity at UKZN. His books (including coauthored works) include We are the Poors, Inside Indenture, Arise Ye Coolies, The Poors of Chatsworth, Blacks in Whites, and South Africa Still Revolting.

Dennis Brutus is honorary professor at at the University of KwaZulu-Natal Centre for Civil Society. In 2009 he will be awarded honorary degrees from Rhodes and Nelson Mandela Metropole Universities; in 2008 he was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award by the South Africa Department of Arts and Culture; in 2007 he was awarded - and rejected - membership in the SA Sports Hall of Fame. His biography, Poetry and Protest, was published in 2006 by UKZN Press and Haymarket Books (Chicago).

(This Wolpe Lecture will last until 8pm, by popular demand. Transport and refreshments are offered for civil society organisations thanks to the Harold Wolpe Memorial Trust. At CCS, contact Helen or Oliver at 031 260 3195.)

***

The Mercury

COPE and ANC agree on one thing 16 December 2008, 16:43

COPE leader Mosioua Lekota said on Tuesday the new party backed the government's broad economic policy, but rejected suggestions that it was a watered-down version of the ANC.

"We have been part of the government till recently and especially regarding the management of our economy, we will give our full support to many measures," Lekota told reporters shortly after he was named the breakaway party's president.