[lbo-talk] New party launched in South Africa

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 10:02:24 PST 2008

----- Original Message ---- From: Patrick Bond <pbond at mail.ngo.za> Cc: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:46:20 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] New party launched in South Africa

> Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>> Any comments from those familiar with the SA scene?

Most independent lefties consider it a centre-right opposition party to a centre-right ruling party. The trade union federation Cosatu feels differently, and put a long pamphlet together against COPE (I can send if anyone wants). Tomorrow we'll have the leader (Terror Lekota) debate our strongest radical civ.soc. ideologue, Ashwin Desai: http://www.ukzn.ac.za/ccs

[WS:] So, given the highly proportional representation nature of the SA electoral system, this will not change much (i.e. split the vote, as it is the cease in the backward US electoral system). The center right will still command roughly the same number of seats, with or without COPE, no?

Wojtek