[lbo-talk] New party launched in South Africa

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Wed Dec 17 14:35:45 PST 2008

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> [WS:] So, given the highly proportional representation nature of the SA electoral system, this will not change much (i.e. split the vote, as it is the cease in the backward US electoral system). The center right will still command roughly the same number of seats, with or without COPE, no?

Right... and the overall discourse may well shift slightly rightward in the process, though Cosatu activists and leaders think they can take the SA state much more into 'developmental' (not neoliberal) territory. I hope they're correct but fear they're wrong.

There's no significant party to the left of the ANC contesting elections right now, though a debate rages in the radical social movements about forming one.

Come back for a visit, soonest; it's the most interesting country in the world.