[lbo-talk] tightening the belt

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Wed Dec 17 21:46:11 PST 2008

I think you are all being a bit harsh here, the poor woman represents the type who would suffer a lot more hardship than me if they tried to live on my income. Because they don't know how And when you get to a certain age your ability to learn new skills, like how to live poor, decline sharply.

Sure, her financial situation sounds like the kind of problem we would love to have. But she isn't us. She doesn't have the faintest idea how to live like that. She couldn't even manage her money when she had heaps, she just handed it over it to a ponzi promoter! She thinks buying jewellery is a way of socking away wealth for a rainy day! Hasn't got a clue in other words, never needed one before.

Bloody sight harder to manage your money when you have less of it. Where would she learn anyhow? Don't forget that all her friends probably have money too.

Or should I say, all her former friends, because the ones with money will probably be giving her a wide berth once they find she's down on her arse now. Cut her some slack will you?

That said though, and all that I've said is more or less true on a general level, in this specific case the woman seems likely to bounce back. Already exploiting her new circumstances as material for a new writing career, quite cleverly. So there's no need for us to pass the hat around for her just yet.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas