[lbo-talk] class hatred (was tightening the belt)

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 18 18:34:58 PST 2008

Bill Bartlett wrote:
> At 9:47 AM -0600 18/12/08, John Thornton wrote:
>
>> Maybe Bill hasn't spent any real quality time with the enemy?
>
> On the contrary, I've known one or two quite well. I've lived in small
> communities most of my life you see, you have to deal with people in
> person. The landlord may be a millionaire farmer, but he still has to
> collect the rent in person, deliver the eviction notice in person.
>
> (Several times in one case, I just told him it wasn't convenient the
> first time he tried and then, after he took 3 months to work up the
> courage to try again, I took 4 months to move. Explaining that the new
> landlord needed to complete the renovations I had ordered. "Oh, by the
> way, I need to borrow your truck to start moving my stuff.")
>
> That's the trouble, when you get to know them the ruling class are
> just people like everyone else. With all the usual strengths and
> weaknesses. Its a lot harder to hate real people you actually know. In
> fact you actually like them. But that's no problem, they aren't the
> problem, the system is the problem. Concentrating on them as people is
> a distraction from the actual problem anyhow.

This what I mean, you haven't spent any quality time with the enemy. If this person collects the rent in person and lends you his truck he is not one of the self-appointed masters of the universe. They do not do that sort of thing. I have made the acquaintance of several of these assholes and in person they are not just like everyone else, they are self-important pricks with a huge sense of entitlement and a general loathing of people they deem beneath them. Being worth a million or a few and collecting a handful of rents isn't really what I'm on about.

>> Dennis Redmond is correct, class hatred is an expression of human
>> dignity.
>
> Well I don't have enough hatred in me for the whole ruling class.
> Anger yes, hatred no.
>
>> Don't forget Bill, the vast majority of the rich hate you already
>> without ever having met you.
>> Why not return the favor?
>
> I'm morally superior to them, that's why. You can be too, but trying
> to hate them would get in the way of that, so stop trying.

I wouldn't begin to know how I could or couldn't be morally superior to another human being. Besides if they really can't help being pricks as you claim how can you be morally superior to people who can't be other than what they currently are?

>> The Ian Bone piece was fun.
>> The rich are generally loathsome. Their sense of entitlement is
>> nearly unbelievable and their sense of superiority even more so.
>> Fuck Alexandra Penny, fuck Bernie Madoff, fuck John Paulson, fuck
>> Dennis Coleman, fuck the lot of them.
>
> Come on John, be a little charitable. They can't help it, they are
> just products of their upbringing and environment.
>
>> A bonfire of the 5000 wealthiest people would be a fine sight.
>> I'll bring the marshmallows.
>
> Oh nice. Bet you couldn't actually do it.
>
> Bill Bartlett
> Bracknell Tas

Sure I could, they sell marshmallows at the local grocers.

John Thornton