[lbo-talk] class hatred (was tightening the belt)

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Thu Dec 18 16:26:55 PST 2008

At 9:47 AM -0600 18/12/08, John Thornton wrote:

>Maybe Bill hasn't spent any real quality time with the enemy?

On the contrary, I've known one or two quite well. I've lived in small communities most of my life you see, you have to deal with people in person. The landlord may be a millionaire farmer, but he still has to collect the rent in person, deliver the eviction notice in person.

(Several times in one case, I just told him it wasn't convenient the first time he tried and then, after he took 3 months to work up the courage to try again, I took 4 months to move. Explaining that the new landlord needed to complete the renovations I had ordered. "Oh, by the way, I need to borrow your truck to start moving my stuff.")

That's the trouble, when you get to know them the ruling class are just people like everyone else. With all the usual strengths and weaknesses. Its a lot harder to hate real people you actually know. In fact you actually like them. But that's no problem, they aren't the problem, the system is the problem. Concentrating on them as people is a distraction from the actual problem anyhow.

>Dennis Redmond is correct, class hatred is an expression of human dignity.

Well I don't have enough hatred in me for the whole ruling class. Anger yes, hatred no.

>Don't forget Bill, the vast majority of the rich hate you already
>without ever having met you.
>Why not return the favor?

I'm morally superior to them, that's why. You can be too, but trying to hate them would get in the way of that, so stop trying.

>The Ian Bone piece was fun.
>The rich are generally loathsome. Their sense of entitlement is
>nearly unbelievable and their sense of superiority even more so.
>Fuck Alexandra Penny, fuck Bernie Madoff, fuck John Paulson, fuck
>Dennis Coleman, fuck the lot of them.

Come on John, be a little charitable. They can't help it, they are just products of their upbringing and environment.

>A bonfire of the 5000 wealthiest people would be a fine sight.
>I'll bring the marshmallows.

Oh nice. Bet you couldn't actually do it.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas