[lbo-talk] New School occupied

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 02:14:03 PST 2008

I hear that most of the students have already gone home for the holidays. If so, that seems like a problem. Are the students indulging in a big gesture whose grandiosity is in inverse proportion to its support. I did the same, when I was at college. We occupied the admin offices (over nursery provision) and got the occupation voted on in smaller and smaller meetings. Eventually, as the Easter Holidays came, we die-hards insisted that principle came first and that we would not back down. The rest of the students happily endorsed our martyrdom, and went home, leaving about fifty of us holding the building. In time of course, we were thrown out, and I and six others were suspended from the college for a year.