[lbo-talk] CJR praise for the Kunstler Cast

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 19 12:45:59 PST 2008

At 08:28 AM 12/19/2008, Jordan Hayes wrote:

>Of course it's cheap oil that allows those places to continue to be
>walkable: we'll see how your walkable little shops and services
>survive when the trucks that supply them grind to a halt. Just
>because you don't drive doesn't mean you're buying stuff that's made
>on-site or something ...

This reminds me of Baudrillard in "America". In that book he talks about driving across the desert and how the experience transcends the material and what not. I wondered how he missed all those 18-wheelers carrying crap to Wal-Mart.

Still, America is my favorite of his books and the only one I really paid attention to.