[lbo-talk] Meanwhile under the Arctic...

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Sat Dec 20 09:13:50 PST 2008

Talk about meltdowns...

Mike B)

A team led by International Arctic Research Center scientist Igor Semiletov has found data to suggest that the carbon pool beneath the Arctic Ocean is leaking.

The results of more than 1,000 measurements of dissolved methane in the surface water from the East Siberian Arctic Shelf this summer as part of the International Siberian Shelf Study show an increased level of methane in the area. Geophysical measurements showed methane bubbles coming out of chimneys on the seafloor.

"The concentrations of the methane were the highest ever measured in the summertime in the Arctic Ocean," Semiletov said. "We have found methane bubble clouds above the gas-charged sediment and above the chimneys going through the sediment." We first heard about this research when Semiletov talked to the U.K.'s Guardian in September. These observations are extremely worrisome for four reasons. First, many fear that a huge methane release is what happened during the Permian-Triassic extinction event and the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum. Second, releasing even a small fraction of the sub-sea methane would make stabilizing greenhouse gas emissions at non-catastrophic concentrations all but impossible.

full: http://gristmill.grist.org/story/2008/12/19/105214/63?source=rss

Make history. Become a Wobbly.

http://www.iww.org.au/

Stay connected to the people that matter most with a smarter inbox. Take a look http://au.docs.yahoo.com/mail/smarterinbox