[lbo-talk] [DEBATE] : Re: (Fwd) Fed pump-priming; Doug sees a fix, Whitney doesn't

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Mon Dec 22 10:40:28 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
> You don't see any similarity between failed localized, economistic
> uprisings like El Barzon and the bond boycott and the occupation of an
> office by some folks from ACORN? They're all isolated theatrical
> episodes with no deeper political roots.

I don't dispute that - although in some cases they have enough power to win substantive demands.

But who are the comrades in the left intelligentsia trying to make these linkages, aside from, say, Danny Schechter? How come you can't tap into the sort of work he's doing? Turn your loyal readers onto something worthwhile so that the episodes start dot-connecting? Come on Doug, even a Polanyi would have been out there documenting resistance, not sneering.