[lbo-talk] ellie mae question

DSR debburz at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 22:37:52 PST 2008

 > so, if you go to the opera, do you go because you understand the italian (or
> whatever language)? or is the point to go and experience it, understanding
> nothing?
  I'm an opera nut, fanatic, crazy lady.  Member of the HGO Guild, the works.  And lemme tell ya', opera is da' bomb, it's the best, it's...it's...up there with sex.

But like sex, choose your first exposure wisely.  The first experience will either have your heart pounding with passion or your legs running away from the pain (or boredom, or mess, whatev).

I second the opinions that encourage you to see opera, experience the visual with the music. Today's opera stars are quite good actors as well as singers, and the  staging of opera is usually a visual banquet of surprises.  I should also add that many of today's stars are kinda hot.  There are subtitles to help you keep up with the plot, and the programs give a good run down of the plot, too.

However, instead of straining to understand the language it is in, I'd recommend relaxing and, instead, let your ear play along with the words and tunes, imagining in your mind a visual of what it sounds like the words are conveying emotionally, and feeling the nuances of emotion in that language (tho' some would argue that that is nearly impossible with German opera, but that's another story entirely).  The lilt of the language an opera is sung in will influence the structure of the music in many ways.  Relaxing enough to hear that is awesome.

For your first experiences, choose operas that are *fun*, whether they are tragic or comic in nature:  La Traviata, La Boheme, Barber of Seville, Magic Flute.  There will be tunes you know, drama of the highest order and some pretty intense staging.

Avoid Handel or Monteverdi's operas if you are a novice.  While it's interesting to hear contralto parts for the first time, the newness will wear off quickly once you realize that nearly every word is sung in multisyllabic fragments counting in the hundreds.  I've also noticed that many Handel operas are staged more simply.  Dramatic, yes, but simply.  And when the singer has been blowin' and goin' on the same word for nearly four minutes, your eyes are going to be starving for something to look at!

Ok, so the music is great, the staging and theatrics are larger than life, but there's also the people watching!  Oy vey, opera audiences are some of the most fun to watch in the world, because contrary to the stereotype, opera attracts a wide swath of the public.  It's not just for the blue hairs and WASPs anymore!

Hit me offlist if you have more questions,

 - Deb / Houston