[lbo-talk] The Liberal Morality: Shutm on Atrocities

Eric Beck ersatzdog at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 09:02:57 PST 2008

>> So it's up to us to see that our government makes the call...
>
> Are you serious? Who are "us," and what leverage do "we" have over the
> deep structure of the imperial state?

Exactly. This is Chomsky's shtick too, to say that somehow the blood of Palestinians' is on the hands of janitors and nurses and university professors who happen to live in the United States. Apparently we're supposed to feel guilt or shame over this. I say it's idiotic and an expression of orthodox Methodism (the religious sect, not the acting technique) rather than of politics.

It's the same sort of belief that motivates the recent spate of open letters and cabinet wishlists penned to Obama, as if the writer(s) has some sort off personal intimate relationship with the sovereign (God). Guess what? Obama could give a flying fuck for your advice. The only thing that is accomplished is an increase in the writer's self-esteem.