[lbo-talk] The Liberal Morality: Shutm on Atrocities

Sheldon Baker humanist.observer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 09:45:11 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Eric Beck <ersatzdog at gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly. This is Chomsky's shtick too, to say that somehow the blood
> of Palestinians' is on the hands of janitors and nurses and university
> professors who happen to live in the United States. Apparently we're
> supposed to feel guilt or shame over this. I say it's idiotic and an
> expression of orthodox Methodism (the religious sect, not the acting
> technique) rather than of politics.

Does Chomsky actually say that we the janitors, nurses, or unv. profs are guilty and have blood on our hands? Do you have a quote?

Saw a quote on Z-Net once that said something to the effect "In a democracy, not all are guilty, but all are responsible."

Seems to me that in a general sense we have a responsibility as citizens and human beings to put together a movement to change the status quo. How to be successful at that endeavor is not a simple thing to do. Some of us do the best that we can with the resources we have at hand, and thats all an individual can really do, isn't it? If we can do very little that is effective at the present historical moment, that doesn't really imply that "we have blood on our hands" does it?

For example, Doug through his radio show does more to educate and motivate more people to action than most of us ever could. Can't really blame him for not doing more, or for not being successful. Most nurses or janitors out there don't have a radio show or a lecture hall as a platform, nor do they have good institutional structures at present to support their political action.

And to what extent can we blame people for just being ignorant, when the forces promoting their ignorance are so much more powerful?