[lbo-talk] Urban wealth/ethnic stratification

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Feb 3 13:58:08 PST 2008

At 01:54 PM 1/27/2008, tully wrote:
>On Sunday 27 January 2008, Chris Doss wrote:
> >However it has been rapidly and obviously
> >developing, with the center and western parts of the
> >city being areas for the upper and middle classes and
> >the east and southeast being working-class areas with
> >a lots of immigrants (both from other areas of Russia
> >and from other countries). It's very noticeable. I
> >used to live in southeast Moscow, now live downtown,
> >and believe me the difference is stark.
>
>I've wondered why the cities I'm familiar with here on the US
>east coast have the elite neighborhoods in the west and north
>and the working class in the south and east. When no ideas to
>explain it came to mind, I wrote it off to coincidence. But now
>you are making me wonder again... I see it here in DC,
>Baltimore, Greensboro, Burlington, NC. Does this happen in
>other cities? If so, I wonder why?
>
>--tully

Reading Lawrence Otis Graham's _Our Kind of People_ which is about the black upper class, I'm on the chapter about where the black elite vacations: Oak Bluffs, Martha's Vineyard and Sag Harbor, Long Island. He says that the black elite live on the east side of Sag Harbor because they bought homes there, encouraged along by real estate agents enforcing de facto segregation at the beginning of last c.