[lbo-talk] Carl Remick, RIP

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Sun Feb 3 16:49:49 PST 2008

At 07:41 AM 2/3/2008, John Adams wrote:
>On Feb 3, 2008, at 5:58 AM, shag wrote:
>
> > no. i'm serious.
> >
> > what would you suggest we do.
>
> I suggest the first thing to do is to figure out what to do...and I,
>too, am serious.

yeah. no disrespect andie, but of course i know those are things i can do. i have done them. i am feeling, though, that, this time, things are different. in the past, things fell in my lap -- mainly because i was connected to a uni somehow. my initial interaction with uhuru, via someone at the uni were i adjuncted. now, however, activism isn't connected to my job. (wasn't before, but because i had a very flexible job, it was a lot easier to be of use). and i'll say, straight up, if uhuru hadn't been around, politics in limpdick would have been the pits. prior to hooking up with uhuru, i'd tested the waters with local anarchist groups and quickly got turned off by the judgemental horse shittery of that milieu. no offense to anarchists, i'm sure this group was unique, etc. disclaimer, etc.

what do i mean? I don't know. after awhile, i guess you start to think, wait, we need some kind of _reason_ behind what we do. some kind of freakin' logic. in the past, i followed the go where people *are* but, to be honest, here, the people aren't in places where i want to be.

i'm tangenting though. i don't know, i guess i sense that john has an idea what i mean. help me out here, john, maybe, together, we can stumble through how to articulate what's driving my question. it seems kind of mindless: do something! get to work! it _feels_ like drifting from this to that to the other.

why?

i know i would have my *personal* reasoning. but there's something wrong with that, where my *personal* reasoning is all that matters. and i suspect this has come from my involvement with mainstream feminists these past two years, where they utterly rejected *anything* that might seem like strucutre, direction, theory, a plan or something behind the "get to work."

besides which, dougdaddy, when you say, "get to work" to me, i'd really like some whip cracking sound effects to go with it, 'k?