[lbo-talk] Neo-Realism: Chapter 2

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Feb 3 17:31:26 PST 2008

Dwayne Monroe wrote:
> Considering the actually existing history of feminism - in which the idea
> and ideal of women having an "absolute willingness" to help one another in
> both trying and not so trying times enjoys a prominent spot - it's a bit
> jarring to read you describing the notion of such support to be a novel
> concept, introduced via film.

I was really struck by the extent to which both films (given huge cultural differences) focused on the solidarity amongst women. And...it did seem to me that this is a much more interesting focus than the usual stuff I see. See, because, it wasn't about identity, it was about solidarity, and I really have not seen this portrayed in this way so forcibly before.

And, no, I didn't mean to be insulting. But I have definitely been angered by the way in which the abortion issue has swallowed up practically every other feminist struggle...

Joanna