[lbo-talk] Neo-Realism: Chapter 2

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 07:20:50 PST 2008

Joanna:

the movies [4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days and "Juno"] have a lot in common and produce a new sense of feminism: one in which feminism is not defined by one's unrepentant ability to kill a foetus, but by the absolute willingness of women to help one another in very trying circumstances.

As always, I'm certain your intentions are peaceful (and the films are probably as good as you say - well, maybe not "Juno" which, as I watched, seemed to me like a cake made from equal parts stealth sentiment and over-written snark) but in getting from points a to b, it all goes terribly awry.

Considering the actually existing history of feminism - in which the idea and ideal of women having an "absolute willingness" to help one another in both trying and not so trying times enjoys a prominent spot - it's a bit jarring to read you describing the notion of such support to be a novel concept, introduced via film.

And while it's undeniable that reproductive rights are defined by some in very narrow terms, centered around the push and pull over abortion, it's spectacularly unfair to reduce the whole feminist project to the loaded phrase "unrepentant ability to kill a foetus...".

I'm sure you aren't looking for an argument but Odin's eye! You sure did manage to pack a goodly amount of insult into a simple film recommendation.

.d.