[lbo-talk] Neo-Realism: Chapter 2

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Feb 4 23:47:23 PST 2008

Dwayne Monroe wrote:
> I'm
> really, really put out by your assertion - heavily implied though
> concealed enough to retain deniability - that contraception and access
> to abortion services are not, as many women unequivocally state,
> positive developments but are in fact primarily (and perhaps only)
> boons to irresponsible men.
They are positive developments. I was not arguing that they are not. I cannot begin to imagine my life without them.

What I am trying to point out is that historically, women have only been able to assure their freedom by not bearing children. Until abortion/contraceptives became available, the only freedom available to a woman was spinsterhood or joining a religious order--no sex, no children.

I would like to live in a world where a woman's freedom and her having children are not diametrically opposed. I would like to live in a world where women do not have to sell sexual services. And I would like to contribute to articulating a political program that is concerned with creating that world.

If this makes me a person to be feared and loathed, well, so be it.

Joanna