[lbo-talk] Neo-Realism: Chapter 2

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Tue Feb 5 01:26:15 PST 2008

At 11:47 PM -0800 4/2/08, Joanna wrote:

>I would like to live in a world where a woman's freedom and her having
>children are not diametrically opposed.
>I would like to live in a world where women do not have to sell sexual
>services.
>And I would like to contribute to articulating a political program that
>is concerned with creating that world.
>
>If this makes me a person to be feared and loathed, well, so be it.

Yes, exactly. Its all very well to argue that people should be free to sell sex to earn a living and certainly it is no worse than the ordinary labourer selling labour-power. But that doesn't mean it is wrong to feel revulsion at the idea of having to sell sex. That is indeed how we should feel, just as we should also feel revulsion at the idea of having to sell our labour.

The idea that we should accept prostitution as OK is getting the whole thing backwards.

The same as abortion. It is entirely reasonable to rail against economic and social pressure to terminate a pregnancy. Let's not kid ourselves about this. Its a symptom of our oppression, not a form of emancipation. It is scary that people see it as some kind of symbol of emancipation, such people are so deeply enslaved that they can't even conceive of freedom.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas