[lbo-talk] I hope you all vote(d) for Obama

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Feb 5 12:04:42 PST 2008

Shane Mage wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2008, at 1:19 PM, Jordan Hayes wrote:
>

>> Jenny Brown asks:
>>

>>> How is forcing people to pay for private insurance that may
>>> or may not cover you an improvement over not doing so?
>>>
>> I suppose we could ask the same about things like Auto Liability
>> Insurance[*] and Workers Compensation Insurance?
>>

> This is a careless fallacy. Both types of *liability* insurance have
> to be compulsory in order to protect third parties against your own
> fault. What possible reason is there to compel a Christian Scientist
> or a Seventh-Day Adventist to buy personal medical insurance?

If they don't, and they end up using emergency room services, it pushes up the cost of health care for everyone. If they don't, and they have babies without prenatal care, their babies are more likely to have birth complications, and it pushes up the cost of health care for everyone. If they don't, and their children don't get vaccinated, then morbidity rates will increase, and it pushes up the cost of health care for everyone. What's not to get?

Miles