[lbo-talk] I hope you all vote(d) for Obama

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue Feb 5 10:57:50 PST 2008

> Both types of *liability* insurance have to be compulsory
> in order to protect third parties against your own fault.

Um, Workers Compensation Insurance is no more of a 'liability'-type insurance product than regular health insurance is: it will cover you if you slice your finger off on the job at a deli, through no third-party fault. It's probably also a good model for universal health insurance, because it's already 'universal' in some sense: unless you're the owner (not merely 'the boss') you must buy this insurance for your employees. In fact, if universal health insurance became a reality in the US, we might find that the whole workers comp system goes away; its origins lie in the fact that you might have a job and might not have health insurance.

> What possible reason is there to compel a Christian Scientist
> or a Seventh-Day Adventist to buy personal medical insurance?

You may not, as an employer, neglect to purchase workers comp for your employees, no matter what kind of kooky ideas their Leaders With Pointy Hats tell them. That's why it's a law, and that's why it's important.

/jordan