[lbo-talk] I hope you all vote(d) for Obama

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 5 15:15:43 PST 2008

Shane:
> What possible reason is there to compel a Christian Scientist
> or a Seventh-Day Adventist to buy personal medical insurance?

You may not, as an employer, neglect to purchase workers comp for your employees, no matter what kind of kooky ideas their Leaders With Pointy Hats tell them. That's why it's a law, and that's why it's important.

Agreed. As the liberal Krugman says, he'd rather see a single payer system; but as he doesn't think that the majority of workers will vote for such a system yet (the level of 'informed' political ignorance is so high), he sees this system as one of those steps (the price we must pay, so to speak) in the right direction and I'd agree. It's better than what you in the U.S. have now, much better. And Jordan's point about making it a law akin to workers' comp...yes, force the employing class to pay for health, that will make them see the cost-efficiency light in terms of single payer. And Shane, the logic of making it a public responsibility to pay for education is the same the logic as making it a public responsibility to pay for health, right? Of course, even if the people without kids or people who choose to opt out of the public school system and pay private schools for the service. Same goes for the Christian Scientists and their refusal of medical help.

Mike B)

http://www.iww.org.au/node/10 "Would you have freedom from wage-slavery.." Joe Hill http://www.iww.org/en/join

Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address. www.yahoo7.com.au/y7mail