[lbo-talk] Naomi Klein Goes Daft

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 6 09:25:48 PST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Joseph Catron wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2008 8:47 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> But they're not really "in place." They're gone in Cambridge and
>> Santa Monica, and they're going in NYC. WHere else is there rent
>> control in the U.S.?
>
> 12 California cities have rent control ordinances covering buildings,
> while 110 cover mobile home parks. 124 New Jersey cities have rent
> control, as does Washington, DC. I'm sure there are others, but can't
> seem to find a comprehensive list online.
>
> Regardless, you keep avoiding my question. If rent control is not
> popular, why has it not been abolished outright?

You've mentioned fewer than 150 jurisdictions in a country with over 87,000 local governments. That's barely measurable. And that rent controlled was eliminated in Cambridge and Santa Monica - not known as hotbeds of reaction - and is being phased out in NYC without any popular resistance suggests that rent control can't be described as "popular." It hasn't been abolished outright, but it barely exists anymore.

Doug