[lbo-talk] Gawker sees Latino, Asian, anti-Black sentiment in Obama's Super Tuesday losses

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 09:46:57 PST 2008

D:

You're absolutely right, I should've provided intro commentary. Ishould've provided commentary because I posted the article as anexample of the sort of 'analysis of America's racial barometer' (andsimilarly twee constructions) we're likely to get during this rivetingWinter of Change.

J:

Tonight on Nightline... Ice Cube's Barbershop... finger on the pulse of a rancorously divided black nation!

D:

The Winter of Change is like the Winter of Discontent, but with worse soliloquies and more change inspired tears of change-tastic joy.

J:

Now, Dwayne, don't be "pouty." Don't "have an attitude." Don't be a "stick in the mud." Certainly, you don't oppose CHANGE, do you? Me, I'm all for it, all in favor of CHANGE. Yep. Why this very morning, I CHANGED my underwear. Yes sirree. Then, this afternoon... a little after two, but it wasn't two thirty-yet... I CHANGED my motor oil. Did it myself... DYI... er, I mean, DIY, ya know? No JiffyLube necessary. And tonight -- if all goes according to plan, as it were -- I will CHANGE my light blub. Sure will. I'd rather have a bright bulb than a dim bulb!!!

How can you be against CHANGE? I'm all for CHANGE. CHANGE is good. CHANGE is the "stuff of life." You certainly are in favor of CHANGE aren't you? Well, aren't you?

(Why do such sophomorisms seem vaguely but distressingly familiar, dredging up many a memory of passing a bong with stoner buddies? Ah yes, Clinton-Gore '92. It just gets better and better -- no looking back now -- with those "message crafters!")

PS. No LCD screen on the noggin here in Tohoku... although I do have a fantastic collection of empty cooking fuel canisters, about a dozen's dozen, stored underneath my sink waiting to be recylced. I guess I always was more of a vaccum tube era guy.

_________________________________________________________________ Shed those extra pounds with MSN and The Biggest Loser! http://biggestloser.msn.com/