[lbo-talk] Naomi Klein Goes Daft

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Thu Feb 7 00:19:24 PST 2008

On Wed, February 6, 2008 9:47 am, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Why is the DP the graveyard of radical political movements?

I've become convinced it's Empire, pure and simple. Most oppositional movements in imperial countries are powerfully restricted by Empire -- its ideological superstructures, its economic surplus, its policing and disciplining bureaucracies. The US had (past tense) the biggest, richest world empire of them all, so no surprise that its radical movements have been so reformist and limited. They weren't radical because they never needed to be.

The Dems are sure to sweep November, because of the almost total military, economic and political debacle wrought by the oiligarchy, but they won't do much except try to contain the meltdown. The question is, how do we create an anti-imperial politics, which will turn the inevitable loss of Empire into an opening for new forms of democracy and struggle.

-- DRR