[lbo-talk] Naomi Klein Goes Daft

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 10:03:54 PST 2008

> "Average" is used both as a broad term for measures of central
> tendency as well as a synonym for "mean." At least that's the way I
> learned it. In this case, the way NK wrote it - like an inverted
> Woebegon - would lead a lot of people to scratch their heads. Maybe
> she and/or the Nation eds were afraid of bringing up the concept of
> "median" vs. "mean" because it's too geeky. Or maybe they don't
> really know the diff.

Yeah but as you point out average income really is commonly used as synonym for mean. According to this Census Bureau report median household income in 2006 was around $63,402, while mean household income was around $86,528. As I remember the top household income quintile starts around $85,000 (from memory so plus or minus a bit) . Klein could have accurately said that around 4 in 5f households less than the average U.S. household income. Given that "average" is a valid synonym for "mean" what she said was precisely correct. She opened herself up to people inferring the most common, rather than second most common meaning of "average", and thus reading her statement as self-contradictory. Given that she will be read and interpreted by hostile audiences, that was an error, but hardly "daft".

http://pubdb3.census.gov/macro/032007/hhinc/new04_001.htm