[lbo-talk] Gawker sees Latino, Asian, anti-Black sentiment in Obama's Super Tuesday losses

Charles A. Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Feb 6 11:36:09 PST 2008

``...watched RFK's victory speech ..... and he had Huerta right next to him, while praising and thanking Cesar Chavez..'' DP

No that wasn't sentimental. RFK was going after the younger voter and the mainstream liberal that wanted out of the war. I voted for him in the primary, and was pretty certain he would take the lead over Humphrey, then shit-head Sirhan killed him. I was completely outraged. I went nuts, outside in the back beating things with a 2x4. You motherfucker....

Yes, thanks for reminding me. So Obama is following the wrong Kennedy.

I would have voted for Obama, if he had said anything remotely progressive. But he didn't as far as I can see. He needs to put some distance between him and Hilary.

Two things. First make it clear the `unity' he is talking about is working class unity---this is the back door to the race and ethnic unity issue, since a probable thin majority of the working class are no longer white.

Second, come out with a progressive immigration plan. That plan doesn't need much doing, since most of the problem with illegal immigration is a consequence of the quota system. Change the quota system and most of the `illegal' part goes away. That chages the whole system to registration for work visas.

Turn the working class unity into a pro-union and organized labor campaign to first integrate immigrant labor into a strong union base---which in turn kills the fear of cheaper labor taking over jobs---since everybody is then mostly union and wages are set by contracts.

These are very liberal policies. They are not radical. They just sound that way because of the reactionary climate that has prevailed for so long here. I think, thinking in these terms helps highlight how liberal and progressives have been neatly divided off from an increasingly minority potential base.

The healthcare debate gets turned into both of these other points with manditory and uniform profiles with progressive sliding scales and subsidties. Unions can set up their own versions as long as they follow fed guidelines. This does twothings, it gets an end run around insurance companies. This sets the stage for a fed take over of the whole system at some later date. Yes, hope deferred... but IMHO, not denied.

CG