[lbo-talk] the inevitability of an obama-clinton/clinton-obama ticket

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 6 12:42:51 PST 2008

Edwards had more union support than both his rivals combined. Either Hillary or Obama could use that support. And Edwards offers more Southern appeal than Clinton for Obama's purposes. He's no attack dog but Hillary hardly needs one. Obama will hire a Republican attack-dog to go with his Republican finance and economy advisors. Obama is running as a charismatic I'm-not-Hillary candidate and nothing else. Obama can't pick Hillary because then his platform isn't I'm-not-Hillary and Hillary can win more support from Edwards unions endorsements. I still think Edwards has already made a deal with both candidates that in essence he'll remove himself before Super Tuesday if they choose him as VP. Both Obama and Hillary were worried about losing just enough to Edwards to swing a state towards their rival. Why else quit with no advanced notice right before those Primaries? If there is no advanced agreement logic would dictate he stay until after the Tuesday Primaries and then bow out if he continued to have a poor showing.

John Thornton