[lbo-talk] the inevitability of an obama-clinton/clinton-obama ticket

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 6 13:46:39 PST 2008

Charles Brown wrote:
> Paradoxically, all here who are lamenting the "euphoria" and " mania"
> of the Obama phenomena are participating in that mania in a way, because
> they are accepting the idea that Obama can win in racist America. That's
> somewhat euphoric/manic itself. Don't worry all who don't like Obama's
> corporate liberal positions, he can't win. He's Black.
>
> Failure to note this is failure to acknowledge the key role of racism
> in America and American politics. It's progressive or left "colorblind"
> politics. On this thread Julio's last posts are a notable exception to
> colorblind politics or punditry.

I've lamented the mania surrounding Obama but never really figured he would win so "all" seems a bit sweeping. I imagine others who were made uncomfortable by Obama-mania and publicly stated as much may also have assumed he was going to lose. Perhaps I'm wrong and you're correct but maybe I misunderstand your point? Lamenting Obama-mania doesn't seem to me to be predicated by a belief he can win. Haven't people, to a lesser degree to be sure, lamented the hype surrounding Ron Paul? Did those people necessarily believe Paul might win? If you're claiming Obama absolutely cannot win because he is black rather than he most likely will not win because he is black doesn't that contradict your earlier posts?

I initially thought race was a large part of Obama's ability to charm people and although I still do I believe this it is to a lesser degree than I used to. I assumed a large part of his attraction was for people to demonstrate how un-racist they are by supporting a black man. I now think it's a small part of the attraction. He really is a spell-binding speaker and it is, to me anyway, really creepy to see any person exert this much control on peoples emotions from such a distance. Watching people lose their ability to think critically because they are swept up emotionally by a politician is unnerving. Save that for artists, lovers whatever but not politicians.

I'm also not convinced he will lose primarily because he is black rather than lose because he tries too hard not to look like a Democrat. More people want to get rid of the Republicans than want to unite the parties so Obama's strategy of positioning himself as something of an independent against Hillary being a staunch Democrat is what will be his undoing in my opinion. If Obama positioned himself as a faithful Democrat instead of trying to chase Republican voters and therefore loved and admired by everyone he would be successful. He believes he's too great to limit himself to one party and wants to build success on his greatness than rather party loyalty. Most successful politicians know this strategy doesn't work well and Obama is probably going to learn it soon.

John Thornton