[lbo-talk] Ann Coulter loses it over McCain

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 7 12:04:58 PST 2008

Charles Brown wrote:
> ^^^^^
> CB: Below is an exchange from PEN-L on the issue between Carrol and
> me .
>

>> ^^^^^
>>
>> CB: Isn't McCain going to win ? He's the war candidate.
>>

> I haven't the slightest idea who is going to win -- but McCain _is_
> the
> candidate most apt to pull out of Iraq. His warlike reputation
> provides
> cover for cutting and running.
>
> Carrol
>
> ^^^^^^^
>
> CB: Yes, I agree on ending the war. Nixon/Ford ended Vietnam.
> Eisenhower ended Korea. You can name some Greek or Roman warrior who
> ended some war. Or a Conservative Britisher who did the same. It's a
> famous historical pattern.

Not exactly what I had in mind. I think McCain is in this for the long haul. He'll never admit defeat. He laments the "loss" in Vietnam and he's going to "win" this time. A Rep Prez gives the Dems the cover they need to end funding. They'll never cut the legs off Obama or Clinton so the war will go on for awhile under a Dem but they'll shut out a Rep with the story that they didn't do it to Bush so as to give his surge a chance but that time is over and it's time to leave. There will be much less risk in cutting funding 2 years from now under a McCain administration.

John Thornton