[lbo-talk] I hope you all vote(d) for Obama

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Thu Feb 7 19:20:10 PST 2008

Hulio Huarto wrote: ....

> In CT as everywhere else, the young favored Obama over Hillary. But

> the older (not likely to be poorer) favored Hillary. Older (and

> white), not likely to be among the poorest in CT, Hillary.

are you famous or something? Because I don't understand why people aren't all over this like a donkey on a waffle.

What do generational differences in income have to do with "poor". Yes, I know, you used "poorer" -- but this is a flourish of rhetorical horse shittery.

<brevity snips follow>

> Among whites 18-29 (8% of the voters), Obama dominated with 54% over

> Hillary's 45%. ...

> Hillary had 50%, Obama only 45%. ...

> Hillary had 51%, Obama only 47%. ...

> Hillary and Obama got same 49%. ...

> Hillary had 50% and Obama only 47%.

These polls generally have a plus/minus margin of error of at least 3%.

Hillary had 50%, Obama "only" 45%. Well, plus/minus 3 makes that Hillary with 47%, Obama with 48%. In which case, it's Hillary who had "only" 47%, while Obama practically "dominated" with 48%

Also, I realize you're not a Clinton fan, and I realize that her supporters call her Hillary. But is there some reason you find it useful to use her first name and not also his? (I don't want to make Max and Dennis feel like I think they are the only woman haters here, yanno?)

<brevity snip>

>> Consider a larger NW state, NY: Same basic pattern. Here we have

>> stats for Blacks, 3:1 for Obama among the younger (more assertive?)

>> generation.

and don't forget: likely to be "poorer"!

>But how re you rich if you have a bachelor's, master's or even a doctorate,
>but you're young.

Is this a trick question?

Don't get me wrong: I know all about earning an income of 8000 clams with a Master's.

But, when you're talking education, the issue isn't generally income: it's about cultural capital. It's about aspirations and expectations. It's about identification with what people typically feel they can do with a degree. In other words, the graphic designer who makes 1/3 my salary next to me? Just out of college, he doesn't consider himself poor, even though he may be eating ramen and drinking tap instead of bottled. He doesn't consider himself poor because he didn't come from a poor background and he doesn't intend to stay at this entry level salary. (The economy may have something else in store, but that's another matter).

And, in fact, he isn't actually "poor" -- and not really even "working poor" since what people generally mean by that is, say, my friend who earns $30k as a social worker raising 6 kids. It's a good white collar job, but it's what she's always going to do for the rest of her life, if she's lucky. Graphic designer dewd? He's going to keep moving, he thinks, making a senior level salary in 3-5 years in our industry -- which means he's just putting up with the low pay now and can work his way up or move laterally until he's making what he expects to make: a middle class income. (That is, of course, barring the ever present structural shifts in the economy or the incessant push down on wages brought about by technological change which renders graphic design a matter of technicism, not applied judgment. That sort of thing. But I runnet on with loggorheathia of the mouthia)

Also, I found this interesting. I noticed that, while I thought it was pretty awesome that white men were going for Obama, it only occurred to me reading this LA exit poll that it might not be about voting for a black man, but voting against a white woman.

Oh, and I brought it up because, in LA, more than 80k is not really rich, but even so, Obama is dominating among the over 80 clams crowd ain't he?

Democrats

In the election for President, for whom did you vote?

Clinton Obama Other

City of Los Angeles 43% 52% 5%

Female 50% 46% 4%

Male 35% 58% 7%

White 37% 57% 6%

Latino 67% 28% 5%

Black 11% 86% 3%

Asians 50% 46% 4%

18 to 34 45% 50% 5%

35 to 64 42% 54% 4%

65 and over 44% 47% 9%

Less than 40k 49% 45% 6%

40k to 79k 45% 50% 5%

More than 80k 37% 58% 5%

2008 Leavey Center for the Study of Los Angeles Presidential Primary Exit Poll City of Los Angeles Margin ±3%; Gender Margin ±4%; Race Margin ±5%; Income Margin ±5%; Gender Margin ±4%

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-07-2008/0004752056&EDATE=