[lbo-talk] Decriminalisation (was something else)

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Thu Feb 7 23:47:00 PST 2008

From: shag <shag at cleandraws.com> Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Decriminalisation (was something else)

What I'd be really interested in, Tahir, is ... hmmm. I guess this: what would happen if Bill did say he supported decrim?

You've eliminated his conservatism, now what?

I'm not as optimistic about this as you are! But more seriously I'm not sure I understand the question, because I tend to think that eliminating conservatism is generally a good thing in itself. If you can get decrim, then the lives of sex workers will be so much better. All of the most serious problems that they have currently - and they can be very severe problems indeed - are related to illegality. What is needed is a movement to end this situation. The point that our social conservatives always evade is the sheer irrationality of their position. They will point out that being a whore is not ideal (only doing it for the money, etc.) and then conclude from this fact that it should remain illegal! How many rich women prefer to be garbage collectors, toilet cleaners, or clerks for that matter? Well, we better makes those professions illegal then, shouldn't we? After all we don't want any professions around that rich women wouldn't like to do! We can't have that. How do you have a rational dialogue with someone who puts up arguments like that? Such a person will never admit, from the snugness and smugness of their petty domestic situation, that their arguments are irrational and can only - I submit - have at their source a deep anxiety about human sexuality and its full range of possibilities. Tahir -------------- next part -------------- All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/public/portal_services/disclaimer.htm