[lbo-talk] Who is more electable?

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri Feb 8 09:28:39 PST 2008

--- Charles Brown wrote:

> Obama - sez Nicolas Kristof of NYT. Why? - cuz
> sexism
> is stronger than racism in the US of A.
>
> ^^^^^
>
> CB: How could that be when women are the majority of
> voters and Black
> people are a small minority of voters , about 10 % ?
> There are five
> times more women than Black people .

[WS:] I think Kristof argues that statistically speaking, US voters (regardless of thier socio-demographic status) are more likely to be prejudiced against women than blacks in the position of power.

^^^^ CB: I'm thinking it is not prejudice against when in power , but prejudice against and not voting for to put" in power". So, the statistics we need are how many women and how many Black people are "in power." Lets say elected officials , since we are talking about "electable".

Just anecdotally, I know we have a woman governor and Senator in Michigan , and none Black. California has two women senators, none Black. New York has a woman Senator, none Black. Illinois elected a Black woman senator before they elected a Black man senator. Are there any Black governors ? There are a number of women governors. I'd be shocked if there aren't significantly more women elected officials than Black elected officials. There are a number of women governors,

Here's a list of all the women governors in United States history http://womenshistory.about.com/od/governors/a/governors.htm

I count thirty. I believe there may have been two or three Black governors, counting Reconstruction.

There have been 35 women in the United States Senate since the establishment of that body in 1789, meaning that out of the 1,895 Americans [1] who have served in the United States Senate since that time, 1.85 percent of all Senators have been female.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_United_States_Senate

I can think of about four or five Black Senators in US history.

Not to go ad hominem, but isn't this Kristoff a rightwinger ? spouting sneaky racist propaganda ? :>)

^^^^

I think there is a kernel of truth in it, albeit it probably varies from one group to another. My conjecture is that evangelicals, lower middle / working class (construction workers, truck drivers, small business owners etc.) would be more prejudiced against a female than a black candidate, because of noticeable patriarchal tendencies in these groups.

^^^^^ CB: They also got noticeable racist tendencies, but of course given your record here I'm not surprised that you don't notice these racist tendencies.

^^^^

I also think that Obama would receive a far less enthusiastic support from Blacks if he were a black female. But again, these are just my conjectures.

Wojtek