[lbo-talk] Who is more electable?

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 12:26:28 PST 2008

--- Charles Brown <charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us> wrote:

> CB: I'm thinking it is not prejudice against when in
> power , but
> prejudice against and not voting for to put" in
> power". So, the
> statistics we need are how many women and how many
> Black people are "in
> power." Lets say elected officials , since we are
> talking about
> "electable".

[WS:] by that logic, women are underrepresented by a far greater degree that blacks. Women represent roughly 51% of the US population, but only 16% of the congressional delegation (70 out of 432). Blacks represnet 12.4% of the US population and 9.3% of the congressional delegation (40 out of 432). For a comparion Hispanics and Asians are more underrepresented than Blacks: Hispanics are 14.8% of the population, but only 5.3% of the congressional delegation, while Asians are 4.4% of the popluation but only 1.2% of the congressional delegation.

> CB: They also got noticeable racist tendencies, but
> of course given
> your record here I'm not surprised that you don't
> notice these racist
> tendencies.

[WS:] I disagree. I do notice racist tendencies, but I do not use them as blanket explanations of everything that I find objectionable. FYI, most people I encountered in this country are not racist in any meaningful sense of the word, but I've seen quite a bit of sexist attitudes. I encountered sexist or patriarchal prejudice far more frequently (especially among Blacks, Hispanics, and blue collar workers) than racist prejudice.

In any case, we have to agree to disagree on this, as your views and experiences are evidently different than mine on this subject.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search. http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping