[lbo-talk] Who is more electable?

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 14:09:23 PST 2008

--- Charles Brown <charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us> wrote:
> CB: I'm thinking it is not prejudice against when in
> power , but
> prejudice against and not voting for to put" in
> power". So, the
> statistics we need are how many women and how many
> Black people are "in
> power." Lets say elected officials , since we are
> talking about
> "electable".

[WS:] I though about it some more, but I still think that Obama is less likely to suffer from prejudice than Clinton. It is so, because racists are not likely Democrat voters - they will not vote for a Democract no matter who runs. However, there is plenty of sexist prejudice among likely Democractic voters. Therefore, a Democratic candidate is more likely to be affected by sexism than by racism e.g. Dem voters who feel uncomfortable about women being in the position of "commander in chief" may simply stay home if Clinton runs but vote if Obama runs, whereas racists will be equally likely to vote against any one of them.

Wojtek

____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs