[lbo-talk] Obama, community organizer

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 15:32:50 PST 2008

Charles wrote:

I haven't heard anybody on this list say Obama is a more genuinely progressive choice. Who is your target audience with the critique of Obama?

Oh dear.

Of course, I'm not talking about how things stand on the list - which is a (pleasantly) unusual space relative to the rest of the US' perceptions - but in the wider world of left and leftish politics where enthusiasm for BHO flourishes.

Charles wrote:

Who said the energy in the Black community is for something "real"? You are not accurately representing Black people's consciousness about what their vote will lead to. Black people are not likely to be so naive as to think that the election of Obama will solve all their problems or even that he can win. I bet the greatest skepticism as to whether Obama can win is among Black people. As the joke goes these days " Why do Black people have nightmares ? 'Cause the last Negro who had a dream got shot."

Sigh.

But obviously, people who're excited about BHO do, in fact expect something "positive" to happen, some "change" to occur. Why would they bother if they didn't feel this way? You say that I'm not "accurately representing Black people's consciousness about what their vote will lead to". I say that I am and that we're both right: for every strategic voter there's a person who eagerly looks forward to a new era a dawning because of their support for the candidate.

As you know, there isn't a single Black perspective on these things: we're both Black, we both talk to Black people. The info I'm gathering from the BHO supporters I'm meeting is not null and void because it doesn't reflect the seasoned understanding of mature Black citizens in the Detroit area.

Charles wrote:

...this list is not a sample of the Black community , so any splintering around here is not representative of paralysis and fracturing in among Black people. And as I say it is the opposite of the truth to say that Obama's campaign is causing paralysis or fracturing among Black people.

Yes, that's right, the list is not a sample of the Black community (I anticipated this response and failed to pre-address it). Nevertheless, I'm witnessing and participating in the same sorts of discussions re: BHO in the Black community nearest me. It is causing fractures over strategy.

Charles wrote:

My thing is you all are getting too overworked about something that ain't all that. It certainly is not doing damage to a left that is already "such as it is."

I think you all are envious because so many young people are getting caught up in Obama. It's haterism. :>)

But of course, the VERY REASON we're getting upset is because it's something that ain't which is believed to be very real (again, not by anyone here but in the wider world of left and leftish thought and action). Of course, I'm not referring to BHO's chances to win the White House; like you, I don't think he'll get there. But BHO's positioning of Capital friendly change-ism as a new political program - and the support for that from various quarters which should know better (and once again, I'm not talking about the list or the people you're talking to) is not a good thing.

Well, maybe you're right about haterism. I'd prefer all the love be directed towards, um,...what exactly?

This is exhausting. I need a Duvall.

.d.