[lbo-talk] spending twice what you make

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 11 10:04:13 PST 2008

On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:37 PM, JBrown72073 at cs.com wrote:

> This article from Sunday's NY Times claims that the bottom fifth of
> households (by income) spend on average twice what they earn.
> Oddly, the authors don't include 'interest' as an expenditure
> category, but is this anywhere near right or does it just reflect a
> lot of underreporting of income when your income is fairly informal
> to begin with? Or is it just magnifying what it's reporting by
> ignoring assets? (This would help their argument that we're all
> fine and prosperous because we have AC and color TV's.)

These guys, Cox & Alm of the Dallas Fed, are serial hacks and apologists. They did some work on mobility that was extremely devious, starting their sample with people so young that their only contribution to mobility was growing up. The technique was so crude that the only rationale that makes any sense is that they knew what they wanted to prove and would manipulate the data accordingly.

Their source on this article is the BLS's Consumer Expenditure Survey. The BLS acknowledges that the income data are not as reliable as the expenditure data, and urges researchers interested in income to turn to other sources (excerpt below). Note the preposterously large gap between income and expenditures for the middle and top fifths - you have to wonder how our national savings rate is 0%.

It's also very devious to emphasize gadgets like VCRs and DVD players, whose prices have been dropping like rocks. You'll notice that the words "housing," "college tuition," and "health care" don't appear in their chart.

Doug

----

<http://www.bls.gov/cex/csxfaqs.htm#q20>