[lbo-talk] OFFLIST Re: spending twice what you make

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 11 18:26:17 PST 2008

Who needs a college education, health care, or housing when you have a DVD player? Wasn't that William Gibson's point in the early Neuromancer books?

Speaking of which the daughter has temporarily dropped out college, delaying the decision until I had actually paid the term's tuition R&B, thus forfeiting about $5K. We gave her Janis' car and replaced it for another $4K. Hannah's moved to Columbus, OH, where she has a one room apt and a waitressing job. (In Columbus you can actually pay for a one room apt with a waitressing job.) She's thinking about going to Puerto Rico to look for work in a few months, mainly, I guess, to practice her Spanish. She says she plans to go back to school next year. Ain't parenthood grand?

How's Ivan? Asked you any embarrassing questions about leather roses? Love to Liza.

M is coming back (not to her house) this week at least for while, to deal with decontamination, etc. She sounds all right, actually. Janis and I are pretty good. I myself am personally stressed out to the max, but what would you expect? --- Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:37 PM, JBrown72073 at cs.com
> wrote:
>
> > This article from Sunday's NY Times claims that
> the bottom fifth of
> > households (by income) spend on average twice what
> they earn.
> > Oddly, the authors don't include 'interest' as an
> expenditure
> > category, but is this anywhere near right or does
> it just reflect a
> > lot of underreporting of income when your income
> is fairly informal
> > to begin with? Or is it just magnifying what it's
> reporting by
> > ignoring assets? (This would help their argument
> that we're all
> > fine and prosperous because we have AC and color
> TV's.)
>
> These guys, Cox & Alm of the Dallas Fed, are serial
> hacks and
> apologists. They did some work on mobility that was
> extremely
> devious, starting their sample with people so young
> that their only
> contribution to mobility was growing up. The
> technique was so crude
> that the only rationale that makes any sense is that
> they knew what
> they wanted to prove and would manipulate the data
> accordingly.
>
> Their source on this article is the BLS's Consumer
> Expenditure
> Survey. The BLS acknowledges that the income data
> are not as reliable
> as the expenditure data, and urges researchers
> interested in income
> to turn to other sources (excerpt below). Note the
> preposterously
> large gap between income and expenditures for the
> middle and top
> fifths - you have to wonder how our national savings
> rate is 0%.
>
> It's also very devious to emphasize gadgets like
> VCRs and DVD
> players, whose prices have been dropping like rocks.
> You'll notice
> that the words "housing," "college tuition," and
> "health care" don't
> appear in their chart.
>
> Doug
>
> ----
>
> <http://www.bls.gov/cex/csxfaqs.htm#q20>
>
> > 20. Why do average annual expenditures exceed
> income for some of
> > the demographic groups? How can consumer units
> spend more than they
> > earn?
> >
> > Data users may notice that average annual
> expenditures presented in
> > the income tables sometimes exceed income before
> taxes for the
> > lower income groups. For data prior to 2004, the
> primary reason for
> > that is believed to be nonresponse to questions
> about income, a
> > common problem in household surveys. The average
> incomes shown in
> > the published tables for 2003 and earlier are
> [...]
=== message truncated ===

____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ