[lbo-talk] Obama, community organizer

(Chuck Grimes) cgrimes at rawbw.COM
Tue Feb 12 08:01:04 PST 2008

``I'm not nearly as stirred.

Why?

Because I'm convinced those votes are being harvested via a very subtle sort of perception management (and Charles B, this is the new thing I'm referring to about which much more can be written). Indeed, I feel that this candidacy represents the apotheosis of neoliberal political strategy. It reminds me, on an immensely larger scale, of my time as a liaison to Euro biz leaders for Wharton's Aresty Institute. Clean cut and "well spoken",...'' .d.

---------

Damn. This was exactly what convinced me, I had to follow a different track on measuring the difference between OB and HRC. They are both neoliberals. And, I hate to say, Dee you made me look at it differently.

So what's the next priority down my short list? It came down to facing McCain, pure and simple. Also there was something that a checker at Andronico's said. He's is an older black guy near my age, big man, suffers from somekind of joint problems---probably old high school football or construction work injuries come home to roost in the old bones---we certainly share that as a late life working class thing. We have a nice informal thing going, since I been going to the same grocery store for years. So, I asked him what he thought about Obama v. Clinton. He said, `He just doesn't have the experience.' The more I thought about this answer the more I saw in it.

Like what? Like the battle hardened scars it's going to take to run McCain down mano e mano. McCain is one ugly, tough, little son of a bitch. The Republican Grand Wizard or whoever is in charge over there, was brillant to steer the reactionary white masses over to McCain. War veternan, tough guy, sincere, believes what he says, claims the Reagan mantle, etc. etc. Arizona has always been a very reactionary state. You don't want to be Mexican or Native American in Arizona.

Obama v. McCain, seems to me to promise another nice guy like Kerry, chewed up by the Hatewing.

Anyway getting beyond my reasons, I should be, and truth is I am a cheered that finally, after all this time at least the next generation, say my kid's generation has no problem at all with seeing Obama as I once saw John Kennedy (mistakenly, I might add).

God damned, you just can't believe how fresh, how dreamy wonderful it was to see a young man, good looking, vital, good humored, casual, cool, at ease with history and pop culture, beautiful wife, and Euro elegant. That's why they called it Camlet. Back then, when America moved toward the French, that seemed a good sign. The French were the other half of the American War of Independence---the more radical, the more Enlightened, the more progressive half. If England was the stern and cold Father, France was the loving, cultured, alluring and radical Mother in at least in my version of the great mythological universe. It was only later that I found out that the Allies put de Gaulle in power during the end of WWII because he was an anti-communist.

And then the Kennedy fall from grace, pretty much zero on the civil rights front, stalling with Bobby Kennedy chasing down corrupt unions, and asshole Everett Dirkson stalling every civil rights bill, and then the Cuban Missile Crisis. I couldn't believe it. What's going on? Kennedy was really a seriously committed anti-communist, just like the old brown toothed Stalinist lefties had always argued?

The old lefties knew these things and I didn't and it made a tremendous difference in my perception. I was young, and I believed that the world could change, just with the struggle of a good heart (yes, also, I still do to some extent). Be for the good cause, and it will be yours. Man, did I get fucked in the ass good and proper.

The trouble is that Dee, we agree about OB, but for subtley different reasons---that bare over into CB's side, here. Yes it is great that a new generation believes that the good cause is worth the dream---what else is youth good for? Youth must dream and must be raped, dismayed, appalled and fallen---as I was. My old man self, broods darkly over this as must CB. Boys and girls you have no idea what this battle is about.

Without asking, I am almost certain my son and daughter-in-law went for Barack Obama. They are a perfect demographic. Mixed anglo, mexican-american family, upwwardly mobile, professional, techno-savvy, etc, etc, etc. I love them, and cherish their hope. I keep my dark cynical, bitter side hidden. They deserve nothing but positive light from me, caressing my beautiful grandchildren. This goes to CB's side. It is progress and we should sustain it. My fondest dream of a multi-cultural family to admire, has come true. That is the ultimate future. I just don't trust the current moment.

Well, then too my deepest sentiment. Hatred, I am sorry to say. Hatred of the Right. The Right must go. I don't want to hear anything about unity. HRC has a jones for the Right, and they certainly do for her.

CG