[lbo-talk] E Franklin Frazier

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Wed Feb 13 12:35:19 PST 2008

One thought I have is that he probably isn't using "bourgeois" in the strict Marxist sense. There were very few if any Black members of the ruling class in the 1950's . Might be better termed _The Black Petit Bourgeoisie_.

"With the publication of Bourgeoisie Noire in 1955 (translated in 1957 as Black Bourgeoisie), Frazier apparently set out on a different track, one in which he employed his skills in a critical analysis of the black middle class. The book met with mixed reviews and harsh criticism from the black middle and professional class. Yet Frazier stood solidly by his argument that the black middle class was marked by conspicuous consumption, wish fulfillment, and a world of make-believe. While Frazier published four additional books after 1948, Black Bourgeoisie remained by far his most controversial"

http://press.umsystem.edu/fall2001/teele.htm

Seems to me that the Black "middle class" ( pace Carrol) was restricted to wish fulfillment and make-believe in part because there was a racist glass ceiling on "actual fulfillment".

There's also _The Mis-education of the Negro_ by Carter G. Woodson from a little earlier. It analyses the same class/strata.

Charles

>>> Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> 02/13/2008 1:12 PM >>>
Anyone here have any thoughts on how E. Franklin Frazier's book on the black bourgeoisie is regarded today?