[lbo-talk] U.S. split on "socialized medicine": poll

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 14 16:46:35 PST 2008

Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2008, at 4:51 PM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>

>> http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN1444801720080214
>>

> This is an amazing spontaneous level of support (45-39) for the
> undefined and presumably radioactive term "socialized medicine." With
> an actual movement and actual political leadership, these numbers
> could change dramatically. The Dem candidates are consciously and
> deliberately not talking about this sort of thing, yet trying to
> appeal to an underlying sensibility with the word "universal."
>
> Doug

The disembodied voice I heard on the radio citing this story claimed most of those who opposed socialized medicine defined it as the Govt. owning the actual hospitals. Any truth to that? I haven't seen the actual poll data but this sound like a misreading of it to me. I think it's a fantastic showing and demonstrates that people really do want single-payer health-care. Define it using a less negatively loaded word (for Americans) than "socialized" and support is even higher.

John Thornton