[lbo-talk] de gustibus...

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 23:21:20 PST 2008

It's part of the crossover thing.

At least he can now say this without getting lynched. 50 some years ago Emmett Till, a black youth visiting from Chicago, allegedly whistled at a white woman in a small Mississippi town, and ended up in the river with a fan around his neck.

On the other side of the divide, facing far less serious but still plenty troubling consequences, 36 years ago my first girlfriend, who was black, and I dared not even walk hand in hand, much less show PDA, on the Virginia side of the M-D line (where I lived), for fear for physical attack. In DC it was cool, except she'd get razzed by the brothers for going out with a honkie.

Now BO, whose race is a bit vague anyway, not a bad thing, actually "Charlene," my girlfriend, was lighter than my mother, can express a vague sexual interest in the way one does for a distant celebrity, and nobody thinks twice about it. And in N.Va today, granted it's not the South anymore, you couldn't throw a stone without hitting an interracial couple.

That's progress.

I don't think Cher can touch Angela Bassett or Tina Turner, but there is an attraction to tall women.