[lbo-talk] at least he's black!

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 15 12:04:55 PST 2008

Julio Huato wrote:
> Doug wrote:
>

>> There's just a 10% remnant:
>>

> But sure, that remaining 10% is still uphill and full of dangers.
> There's still much to do. But we should pay homage to those who
> struggled before us, leading to the abolition of slavery and the
> recognition of civil rights, already a long part of the way.
> Approximately, like 89.99999999%, which we can safely round up to 90%.
>
> C'mon, it's a rhetorical figure. Not a claimed made in a scientific paper.

You're being awfully accommodating to racist rhetoric here aren't you? Why not chose 75% instead of 90%? Why chose a number at all? What if he claimed income inequality was 90% solved and we only have to tweak that final 10% before we're all equally able to enjoy the "fruits of capitalism"? Would you air no complaints about that rhetoric as well? Would most people in the bottom 25% income bracket be equally accommodating? He is selling out everyone of color with this statement and you may feel inclined to brush it off but I certainly am not. Why give Obama a pass on this BS? Would you give Clinton a similar pass if she said something this offensive and stupid?

John Thornton